The room size is medium I guess - it's 16 (front to back) x14 (left to right). It's kinda hard to explain, but the left side of the room opens up into the dining area. There's literally no left wall for the family room. It's like a rectangle cut-in-half - on the right half of the rectangle is a carpeted family room, then the carpet stops and the tile starts to add and additional 9 1/2 feet (left to right) of dining room until you hit the dining room wall - which has openings for the kitchen and the living room. I hope that makes sense.
The 3 things that had me thinking that the 80's might be the way to go:
1)One of the problems I've had, is that sound kind of escapes out of the family room to the left. Since there's no wall next to the left front speaker I usually have to increse it a couple db to get it to match the center and right front on a SPL meter.
2)Sometimes I play music and movies really really loud.
3)We have decided that when we move into our next home (1 to 2 years away) that we want to have a pretty decent-sized great room instead of a separate family room/living room.

I'm just really stuck on whether the M80/HSU VTF-3 or the M60/EP500 would sound better. Is the EP500 that much better than the VTF-3? Anybody been able to compare the two?

Sully