Hi mdrew and those who don't already know it all. Here's an observation that may be relevant. I live in a new house, in a new development. The development is located on top of a dunno what, about 2000' above sea level overlooking the Pacific on one side, a canyon on another and the flats at a bit above sea level to the north. This place is as quiet as a tomb. During the day the loudest noise you hear are the birds. At night, it is QUIET.

I demoed my T Amp and my office system for a friend this evening. The T Amp sounded amazing - "that sounds like live music!" my friend said in shocked amazement. He was correct. My office system sounded very good, but not as good. The office system is driven by an Anthem PVA 5 5 channel amp, Sony TA E 9000ES processor, the source was the Cox HD cable box playing 'Soundscapes.' The speakers are the M60 like Michaura M665s, a pair of Mission 77ds surrounds, a highly modified Merak MC6H center with 2x6.5" Axiom aluminum drivers and a horn tweeter, a Dahlquist PDQ1500 15" sub and a Klipsch LF10 stacked in that order.

Anyway, it is now almost 12 midnight and I notice that the sound of the office system has improved terrifically from what it sounded like at 8 PM. The ambient noise level is the same, that is to say, it is insignificant. Now, maybe there are fewer folks drawing on the cable company's resources, or maybe the line voltage goes up a bit late at night as folks turn off their appliances and lights and go to bed. Maybe it has something to do with the electricity. I know I am not the only one who has noticed an improvement in the sound of my solid state equipment late at night. Maybe all the 'well designed' solid state equipment is not impervious to the electricity coming from the mains, into the house, and into our sound systems.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.