Saturn,
I"m curious to hear more about your cable booster now as well. I had a Radio Shack model from my parents old house that i'm using but i've never been thoroughly convinced it does much of anything (my father used to run a Radio Shack in the early 80s). Channels in the basement are relatively clear while upstairs they get a bit distorted and sometimes grainy. Using the booster tends to 'help' a bit but certainly does not boost the cable signal nearly as much as i think it should. I also have a cable problem that connects to my ATI AIW and i'm not 100% sure that it isn't the fault of the card having a loose coaxial plug. The bedroom tv still confirms my doubts. I've wondered whether there are some better, even if more expensive, solutions out there for cable boosting, perhaps this Bell item as you say.
Calling the cable company of course gets you absolutely no where. Unless the cable signal is not working at all or looks like some form of satellite jamming, they won't bother coming out to check it. I live right within the city so distance from the source should not be a problem.
Virtually every cable company i've dealt with has different ranges in quality. It is reallly quite annoying.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."