I have a similar but not identical question and found this discussion very interesting. I have a B&K AVR 507 7.1 receiver-(150 x 7) and a Mitsubishi WS-711 65 " RPTV soon to be located in a new home with a basement room that is finished/carpeted and roughly 18 feet wide and 24 feet long, prewired with 12 gauge speaker wire in 7 locations-three spots along front wall where TV will be located, two spots on rear wall about 7 feet high with 7 1/2 or 8 foot ceiling (I think) and about 10 feet apart; and then two side spots-one on left, one on right located midway between front and rear wire locations. My questions are these:

1) Should I opt for a 7.1 system or leave two channels idle and assemble a 5.1 system?

2) Should I purchase four M80tis to use for the main fronts and "main" rears, and then use two QS8s for the two sides in a 7.1 system? Can or should I also do this in a 5.1 system-i.e. use two M80Tis instead of two QS8s on the rear wall? Or, am I engaging in overkill and/or wasting money and degrading the listening experience by going with M80Tis on the rears? I would estimate my music v. movies use is about 70% music listening and 30% movie viewing. If you have alternative suggestions about which Axioms to use and where I would greatly value your comments and suggesions. Sorry that this is somewhat lengthy and rambling-I am planning on making a purchase within the next week and would love to get this system up and running. I am not very knowledgable in this area so thanks for your time and any suggestions or opinions you can offer to assist me.