Great Points Ian!

I can only speak from a consumers point of view; I have never done blind testing (except in my own home with 2 sets of speakers I liked- certainly not the Research Center you have access too! :) ). I see how many different points of contention can come into play, accuracy, loudness, etc.

Appearance and Value are somewhat easy to asses (my M22's look like all M22s I've seen on all the reviews and your site) over the internet by way of reviews and pictures. BUT, the other factors, for most consumers, are the ones that are really dependent on the room, equipment, and tastes of the listener. In listening to speakers when I was looking for a new set, I PERSONALLY didn't like the BW 602 (as an example). I found it dry, stuffy and a little boomy- but that doesn't mean it's a bad speaker, it just didn't suit my tastes like the M22 did. That is why I said it was difficult to gauge Brand X (at least a GOOD brand X- not B**E or other questionable brands) vs. the Axioms without a demo with your equip, in your room, with your music.

Great Response, though! Very Interesting look into the way double blind testing is done and the many factors involved!