In think all posts are correct (cop out on my part...?). Listening IS the major and final way to determine preferences. I have never purchased a piece I could not audtion, and 9 of 10 in my listening room. However, I live in a major metro area, and have spent 20 years in the industry establishing friendships with dealers, manufactrers, and designers. I have access to almost any piece of gear I would care to listen to But some are not that lucky, and would like to get impressions of others. If 5 people say Brand X was horrible, chances are it can be deemed bad. When spending money, we tend to like to get approval we are making a correct choice.

A major point to be made is that this is a purely subjective "hobby". As was pointed out, because someone says they did not care for it, does not mean it is a poor choice, simply not the right choice for them. It may be a good choice when you listen.

Another problem is determining equipment choices based on technical specifications. If every designer built the optimum technical piece of equipment, and were held to spec's based on listener preference, we would have the same piece built by several companies! Designs and choices made by the manufacturer are influenced by many inputs. As Ian mentioned, when priorities are arranged, and designers work to the specs, products are created that will differ from products made to a different list of priorities. Neither will be deemed 'bad or good", simply aimed at different target markets.

Judging equipment based on price is another gaffe made constantly. Simply assuming a low or high price tag will guarantee a level of performance is a major mistake.

Our individual hearing, preferences, requirements, budgets and personal bias always need to figure into the mix.

.....but enough rambling, on to the listening!

Regards,

BBIBH