In reply to:

Can one of you please explain why there are two freq response ratings?

Freq Resp +/-3db (Hz ) 95 - 22kHz
Freq Resp +3dB- 9dB (Hz) 65 - 22kHz

The only numbers that really count are the first ones(+/-3db 95Hz - 22kHz) because at those frequencies the speaker could be either up or down 3db @ 95dB. The second set is a companies way of say "look our speakers trail off but will produce sound at a certain frequency". The QS8 will be down -9db when you get to 65hz. Sure the QS8 will produce sound at 65hz, but if you look at all other numbers:

+/-3db 95Hz - 22kHz
+3dB/-9dB 65Hz - 22kHz
SPL in Room 1w/1m(dB): 95 dB

This should mean that the QS8 can produce a frequency response of 95Hz-22kHz @ 95dB and will produce sound in the 65Hz-22kHz, but the SPL will automatically lower by -9dB at 65Hz(86dB). The only numbers that count are the ones that show the highest SPL over a freq range. The other numbers are just marketing.

The QS8 do sound fantastic, but the freq respone is pretty poor. I haven't performed the comparison with the MA SFX yet, but I think even with the poor freq response of the QS8 the SFX has a lot of competition. With proper bass management the QS8 is a killer. If you use an HK, ICBM, sub setup like mine or can set your crossover 80hz or higher it's a real winner.

In my setup the QS8 is the absolute best sounding surround I've ever heard. Now I just need to setup the SFX and see how they sound.

Last edited by Legairre; 06/02/05 02:02 AM.