Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: New Addition - Samsung 5087
emiburke #148714 10/13/06 07:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Congratulations on the new toy, emiburke. Like most TVs, the Samsungs leave the factory set to a blinding brightness level in order to look better in a brightly lit showroom. Here are some initial settings provided by a nationally known, well respected ISF calibrator. You might try using them as a starting point and go from there.

"Congrats on your new display! Here are some settings that you may want to use that'll likely render a more accurate image.

Digital NR - OFF
DNIe - Off
Mode - Movie
Contrast - 40
Brightness - 45
Sharpness - 0
Color - 45
Tint - G50/R50
Color Tone - Warm2

If you want to take it up another level, I'd suggest performing a Digital Video Essentials (DVE) user-level setup. Here's a link to a tutorial that Dave Abrams and I wrote for American Wired a few months ago that may assist you with the procedure.

Avical's DVE user-level video calibration tutorial
"

I started with these settings, and, using DVE lowered the brightness and contrast even more. Much mo' betta! It's still a bit too "hot," and a touch blue heavy, but It's giving me a very good picture. I'm having my 5687 calibrated in less than a month, and that will all be corrected by my calibrator.

While it's certainly possible for an end user to achieve a PQ with which they are satisfied, I highly recommend having your set ISF calibrated if the budget will allow. It can make a world of difference. The professional can calibrate your HDTV to a standard (SMPTE) end users are unable to achieve. Without a professional calibration, you won't be realizing the potential of which your set is capable.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #148715 10/13/06 08:04 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Yeah, contrast was too high, those settings look better already. I lent my DVE disk to a friend so I will need to get it back. I think I will check out pricing for a local calibrator, my Panasonic AE900 could probably use it as well. Well, I am supposed to be telecommuting for work today, so I better stop playing for a while.

Ajax #148716 10/13/06 08:24 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Quote:

Congratulations on the new toy, emiburke. Like most TVs, the Samsungs leave the factory set to a blinding brightness level in order to look better in a brightly lit showroom. Here are some initial settings provided by a nationally known, well respected ISF calibrator. You might try using them as a starting point and go from there.

"Congrats on your new display! Here are some settings that you may want to use that'll likely render a more accurate image.

Digital NR - OFF
DNIe - Off
Mode - Movie
Contrast - 40
Brightness - 45
Sharpness - 0
Color - 45
Tint - G50/R50
Color Tone - Warm2

If you want to take it up another level, I'd suggest performing a Digital Video Essentials (DVE) user-level setup. Here's a link to a tutorial that Dave Abrams and I wrote for American Wired a few months ago that may assist you with the procedure.

Avical's DVE user-level video calibration tutorial
"

I started with these settings, and, using DVE lowered the brightness and contrast even more. Much mo' betta! It's still a bit too "hot," and a touch blue heavy, but It's giving me a very good picture. I'm having my 5687 calibrated in less than a month, and that will all be corrected by my calibrator.

While it's certainly possible for an end user to achieve a PQ with which they are satisfied, I highly recommend having your set ISF calibrated if the budget will allow. It can make a world of difference. The professional can calibrate your HDTV to a standard (SMPTE) end users are unable to achieve. Without a professional calibration, you won't be realizing the potential of which your set is capable.

wow thanks for that, its a big help, i did already calibrate with dve, i can now check my results against these

M60, VP180, QS-8's
Marantz SR6005
Behringer EP4000
Stereo Integrity Mag 15"
Samsung HLS5087 DLP
emiburke #148717 10/13/06 10:16 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Glad those settings helped. Here's my experience with ISF calibrators.

I had my first HDTV (Samsung HLN4365) calibrated by a local guy in 2003. What he did was an improvement, but when it came time to have it calibrated again, I couldn't find the local guy (out of business? Moved?). I decided to go with a nationally known ISF calibrator who participates on a lot of these online forums and tours nationally. He did a much better job, and I've stayed with him ever since.

The point is, with a local guy, you can't be sure what you are getting. He might be completely competent. Might not be. With any of the calibrators that are well known on the forums, chances are you're going to get a professional job. Here a few worth investigating.

Lion Audio/Video Consultants (I use Gregg Loewen)

Avical (Eliab, whose suggestions for initial settings I posted above. I respect Eliab for all the free assistance he provides over at the AVS forum)

AccuCal (Another helpful contributor over at AVS - screen name "UMR")

I've linked to their tour pages, but you can find all the information you need (prices,etc) on other pages on the web sites.

I provide these only as a suggestion. I didn't have a great experience with the local guy I used, and had a bad report from a local owner on another local calbrator. It's entirely possible your experience with a local guy would be completely different. If at all possible, try to get some opinions from some of his clients.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,046 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup