Getting the W to the desired AF
#209418 05/27/08 06:06 AM
H
regular
OP Offline
regular
H
Fellas,

Firstly, thanks for your collective advice and words of wisdom on this forum. After reading several reviews, many forums, and countless posts here I finally pulled the trigger on a HSU VTF-3 MK3, a pair of M80s, a VP150, and an Emotiva LPA-1. I just set it all up last Friday and I've been cracking wood ever since.

Getting down to the heading of this thread, I have a somewhat amusing story pertaining to the WAF that I'm sure some of you will appreciate at my expense. Here goes...because, as per the W, we did not need new speakers, ("They're not broken Mr. Spendy Pants."), I had to negotiate to arrive at the desired AF. What did I give up you ask? Well, I hope you're sitting down because if your reaction is anything like that of a friend mine the ensuing laughter might deplete your O2.

In short, I gave up approximately one quarter of my left nut. I'm cooking dinner 5 nights a week (yes, that's a five) for the next 5 weeks (yes, that's another fiver) PLUS one breakfast per weekend. And as if that wasn't enough, I also had to throw in new patio furniture. Egad!!!

The only saving grace in all this, (besides cranking the glorious tunes while I burn the yams), is that I'm not responsible for ANY of the cooking related cleanup which, under the previous arrangements when she was head chef, was my domain. Needless to say, the BBQ will be running at maximum capacity (can you bbq eggs?). At the moment, I'm quite content with the arrangement, but that's just my opinion. Initially, that same laughing knob of a friend was gloating about how I badly I took the shaft until he came over and had a listen. Guess who’s scheming his own WAF plan now? Guess who asked me if I have any simple recipes? Ahhh yes, from time to time one must savour the sweet taste of irony.

Anyway, this journey to a freshly lightened package has me wondering if any of you had to undergo similar tactics to get some shiny new speakers through your front door.

Who dares to share???

Last edited by honkongphooey; 05/27/08 06:14 AM.

"It's a nocturne. You know, Frederic f**king Chopin?" John Henry (Doc) Holliday
Re: Getting the W to the desired AF
honkongphooey #209426 05/27/08 09:26 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Nice story. I think you got a good deal. 5 weeks of cookiking is nothing. I was the chief cook 365 days a year and she got dish duty. Considering how much I hated doing dishes, I think I got a good deal there anyway.

No WAF issues here. Perhaps more of a POX factor P** Off the Ex. ;\)

I think this home theater is the most I have ever spent on myself so I never really had to negotiate.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #209434 05/27/08 12:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I had to concede to put plantation shutters in the entire house and they cost more than what I put in the theater room... 1080P projector, screen, A/V Rack, Denon 3808, Epic 80:600, etc. I still feel like it was a great deal. ;\)

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
myrison #209450 05/27/08 03:55 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I just had to finish building the entertainment center for the first ones, then nothing thereafter. She even bought the center and encouraged me to get the new sub.

Cooking dinner ain't that bad. Check out http://www.allrecipes.com for some good stuff. Also some scary stuff, but you can't have it all.

As for the grill, I recommend fruits and vegetables. That way, you're doing all the cooking on the grill. Haven't tried eggs yet, but the grilled cheese sandwiches yesterday worked out a treat.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
honkongphooey #209455 05/27/08 04:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
you're tha man.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
honkongphooey #209457 05/27/08 04:51 PM
N
aficionado
aficionado
N
The whole reason that we are getting this new trend of soundbars, in-wall speakers, in-ceiling speakers, incredibly thin speakers and tiny cubes speakers that fit in the palm of your hand is because most people aren't trying hard enough with WAF. Some guys are probably looking at getting speakers right now and show the wife a picture of these beautiful tower speakers and subwoofer and the wife just says, "NO WAY is that going to go with the decor...the tower is almost as tall as I am and the sub is the size of an end table and looks like a box...you expect to put these where in the room?" and that is the end of the subject. Then the guy ends up with one of the above mentioned in the first line, each of which is a big or possibly huge compromise in sound quality.

You guys aren't trying hard enough! I had to fight hard to get every piece of equipment in my home theater and I am very glad that I did. I didn't take it to the point where I was worried about a divorce or anything even close to that, but it sure wasn't easy with most of the gear that I purchased. This is great story honkongphooey. Think of all the great time that you can enjoy with your Axioms and all you have to do is cook for a month. That isn't so bad. All of you guys out there looking at getting some nice new speakers, make sure that you don't give in and get a speaker that compromises sound quality just for WAF. Put up a good fight.

- Nick

Nick B #209464 05/27/08 05:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Or just order them and when they arrive, tell her how much it would cost to return the entire set, including the courier's worst nightmare, the EP600.

I didn't do that myself, but I'm not above it if I have to. ;\)

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Nick B #209493 05/27/08 06:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
make sure that you don't give in and get a speaker that compromises sound quality just for WAF. Put up a good fight.

Real men know how to get the sound equipment they want!

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
honkongphooey #209523 05/27/08 08:18 PM
veteran
veteran
 Quote:
"In short, I gave up approximately one quarter of my left nut."

It's why the good Lord gave us two. To barter for audio equipment.

zhimbo #209619 05/28/08 03:41 AM
H
regular
OP Offline
regular
H
Talk about an invaluable think tank...look at all the strategies we have here...annual chef duty, exotic plantation shutters (btw I've heard of actual plantations in Thailand selling for less, shutters included), begging for forgiveness vs requesting permission, and of course, trading portions of body parts...so many pieces of audio equipment...so many ways of achieving WAF...it truly is a beautiful thing.

However, it appears there is indeed a Sensei among us in kcarlile...how did you get your wife to literally "buy in", oh wise one?

"It's a nocturne. You know, Frederic f**king Chopin?" John Henry (Doc) Holliday
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020