Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Reciever Opinions?
#22088 10/15/03 08:08 PM
local
OP Offline
local
That's the plan (to put it in the basement). Sorry for the confusion about the HD2+. What I meant was that by the time I get this setup (maybe in the next few months) the HD2+ will be replacing the HD2's so companies such as BenQ will be replacing their PE8700 with a newer model with a newer chip. This means the older PE8700 will be even more affordable. I don't know of any plans for the 8700's to get the new chip. And certainly not at the cheaper price I would be looking at.

I'll investigate those other projectors if I should expect them to be similar quality.

This quality projector could be overkill having not seen the different ones to compare. I will have to get out somewhere and get a feel for just "how good" these are. Obviously you know a lot about them and felt I might not need this much.

-Nick

My M60's make me listen
My M80's make my ears hear
Either way - I'm not deaf anymore
Re: Reciever Opinions?
#22089 10/15/03 09:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The quality of projectors as a function of their prices is just like that for other AV gears. When you go above a certain price point, the law of diminishing returns will certainly kick in. But unlike the BS/hype-filled world of "high-end" audio, I can assure you that up to the ~$20K range, you can always find a better projector when you pay a higher price. But the differences in image quality is by no means "night and day" or "jaw dropping" at first glance. Today's HT projectors, even the $1K-$2K models, are all darn good.

What I would suggest as the initial step in projector selection are:

(1) Most importantly, go out and watch a couple of reputable HT projectors (not data projectors) in action, in a dealer showroom or a friend's house, where they have a good ambient-light control.

Ambient light really kills the image quality, so the dealer doesn't have a good darkened room, don't even bother to stay. Decide how much you enjoy the FP as compared to plasmas or RPTVs. Don't forget to bring your own favorite DVDs with you -- for example, certain dark scenes in LOTR have been regarded as a good benchmark.

(2) If you feel that the FP is the way to go, determine, sooner than later, whether a DLP or LCD projector is for you.

DLP projectors are still superior than LCDs in the absolute contrast ratio, quality of blacks, and shadow details, although LCDs are steadily improving in these aspects, too. Also, DLP pixels have higher "fill-ratios," resulting in smoother, even more film-like images (some LCD projectors suffer from the "screendoor" and/or "fixed patter noise" artifacts, although they are mostly a non-issue in the latest 720p-class machines). In return, some people see the nasty "rainbow artifacts" or color-breaking when watching high-contrast scenes on DLP projectors. Many people don't see them at all (unfortunately, I do). Also, some people are bothered by "dithering artifacts" seen in shadow parts of DLP images.

Once you decide on the DLP versus LCD issue, the choice is pretty straight forward for a given price range.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters