Re: Listening to M50 or similar in Montreal
twoears #254597 03/31/09 03:02 AM
T
twoears Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
T
I just did a quick test, adding a low cost subwoofer to my old Pierre-Etienne Leon M1 speakers, and it made quite a difference.

If I could find a matching center, I would consider the option of keeping them and add a sub and surrounds.

I have no idea how I could determine what center could match.

Yamaha HTR-6190, MA RS6 & RS-LCR, DSP-3100, PEL M1, Samsung LN52A750, SA 8300HD, Home Theater PC
Ken.C #254599 03/31/09 03:08 AM
T
twoears Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
T
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Just asked her; I'm wrong. It was that she preferred the M80s not toed in; firing at her was unpleasant.

Nemmind...

It gives a new meaning to sonic memory not being accurate ;-)

Yamaha HTR-6190, MA RS6 & RS-LCR, DSP-3100, PEL M1, Samsung LN52A750, SA 8300HD, Home Theater PC
twoears #254600 03/31/09 03:18 AM
T
twoears Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
T
 Originally Posted By: twoears
Speaker reviews measure many things but the one thing missing is the specs of the listener. I imagine no two ears experience sound exactly the same way. I would describe mine as rather sensitive, not necessarily better or more refined.

When I go to movie theaters I often feel pain because it is too loud. I find offensive a lot of the musak we hear in public places. I usually speak in low voice because I hear myself loud enough. I can't go to concerts with amplified music; my ears can't stand it. I listen only to accoustic music and vocals. I love "good" (cannot define it) music with a full sound without being loud. And I prefer silence to bad music.

Now, how does that translate into a good choice of speakers?

I am replying to myself now... I'll soon need a shrink.

What I would like to have to that dB vs frequency graph but for my ears.

Imagine matching listeners and speakers based on their graphs. A computerized matchmaking system could find your perfect companion in a brave new world of audio.

twoears #254602 03/31/09 03:39 AM
veteran
veteran
Hello twoears (I love the name... twoears)

I've not heard the Monitor Audio system in direct comparison with any of the Axiom systems. I have heard both the MA RS6 and RS8 side by side and they were virtually indistinguishable, to my ears at any rate. Monitor Audio has always been a favourite of mine, British loudspeakers in general I confess, and so perhaps my opinion is prejudiced a tad.

One thing you should keep in mind when considering opinions from forum members, including those of myself, is that if an individual has not heard a set of loudspeakers over an extended time period of time, they simply don’t have enough experience with that system, and are making an educated guess on the sound of that system, which, indeed, is what most of us can offer.

Further, it’s very easy for an individual whose opinion is respected to influence the opinions of others. i.e. – Alan Lofft’s opinion of the M50’s. (I never thought I’d experience an employee trivialize a product their trying to sell?)

As I’ve indicated in past posts, I’ve never heard the M60’s or M80’s (I own M50’s, I love them) so I cannot offer an opinion. If I were to ever consider another Axiom system, the M60’s would be my “upgrade” (big maybe). I would not consider the M80’s.

Consider the impedance and sensitivity of the loudspeaker, but don’t get caught up in the numbers either, your ears will tell you far more than specifications ever will.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy the music, not the hardware!
\:\)

Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men died to win them.
twoears #254603 03/31/09 03:54 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I just did a quick test, adding a low cost subwoofer to my old Pierre-Etienne Leon M1 speakers, and it made quite a difference.

If I could find a matching center, I would consider the option of keeping them and add a sub and surrounds.
Twoears, I've not heard of those speakers you have but that is an option you might consider...ordering a centre channel, and trying it out. Axiom gives you 30 days to trial the speakers, if you feel they don't match...you just pay shipping to send them back. Perhaps one of the guys who has Axioms near you would let you hear your speakers with their centre?

How would you describe "the perfect sound" that you are looking for? Do you like a warmer or 'laid back' sound? a more forward, detailed sound? certain speaker co's have certain traits or characteristics in their products. Companies like Axiom, Paradigm, Monitor Audio, B&W, Kef and Klipsh to name a few, have somewhat similar approach to sound.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #254608 03/31/09 03:59 AM
veteran
veteran
Companies like Axiom, Paradigm, Monitor Audio, B&W, Kef and Klipsh to name a few, have somewhat similar approach to sound.

Agreed, sans Klipsh! \:\)

Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men died to win them.
lhulls #254609 03/31/09 04:01 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Don't call me Sans Klipsch!

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #254621 03/31/09 04:26 AM
T
twoears Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
T
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
How would you describe "the perfect sound" that you are looking for? Do you like a warmer or 'laid back' sound? a more forward, detailed sound?

What I said in post #254595 is pretty close:
... what pleased me in the MA RS6 was that they did not sound boxy, that they were airy, had a generous enveloping bass, the higher frequencies had detail without harshness, the voices sounded warm and generous. I felt like I wanted to continue listening. I don't want to be too lyrical but there is something seductive about them.

I am not sure what laid back refers to sonically, but too forward (as is in "in your face") does not appeal to me. I like being surrounded by sound though. Purists might object, but I enjoy playing certain things on many channels, and even - oh shocking - using the enhancer modes of the receiver.

twoears #254627 03/31/09 07:09 AM
J
shareholder in the making
J
Twoears, you sound like you like to listen at low volumes for the most, IMO Axiom is the best speaker for low volumes. I think your description of the MA's is very accurate. I find that smoothness they had, would hide minute details that I could hear easily with my M80's, I think the M60s would have hid those details just a little, much like the ma rs 6'S, but again I think we are splitting hairs.

Again I stress this all from memory and coming up on a year and a half ago now, but I think I am recalling my thoughts at the time quite clearly.

Best way for you to know for sure would be to try the M60s, in your house; the return shipping is reasonable with Axiom's account price, ~$70 I think for the pair.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #254752 03/31/09 09:17 PM
And, for what it's worth, the only way to really decide on speakers is to try them in your room over a little period of time.

Someone (Jack?) has started saying that if you consider the worst-case scenerio of sending the speakers back a "cost of renting them for a month" it's pretty reasonable"!

This is, of course, the only time the name "Jack" and the word "reasonable" have ever been used together!

(What's funny about that is that Jack is THE most reasonable guy on ANY forum)! \:\)

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (fonthillbilly), 235 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup