Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Re: IOnline shopping: who are you really buy from
Sloped #294586 03/01/10 06:50 PM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Dr. House

You brought up another excellent point that is pertinent about buying online and one of the "warning signs" and that is active censorship on the company forum (if it has one). You have been seeing this with their moderators or employees and also long time supporters of the company recommending, downplaying or staying quiet on very important and serious issues that they are fully aware when people ask about their products. Most of these individuals that got suckered in within the last year or so are probably going to be without a warranty . On a separate note I am also noticing a lot of censorship at Emotiva lately (which makes them not very attractive to me as a company)

Thanks for emphasizing this point, it is IMO one of the biggest warning signs to look for. Also the heavy handed censorship at Emo is nothing new. It happens every time someone starts complaining. There just happens to be a lot more of that right now because of those unhappy with their new pre-processor roll out. I see a lot of red flags at that company too.

There is another form of censorship to watch for, that of the forum member themselves.

Sloped, your point is well taken “I don't think you should generalize like that. Couple people there, a couple people here.” Every forum has it’s fanboys and even when not fanboys people have a tendency to circle the wagons when they feel attacked. But kcarlile’s comment and more accurately Dr. House’s re-write are valid. There is hardly an internet forum I’ve seen that wasn’t invaded by AV123 fanboys if someone posted a less than glowing review of one of their products. It’s the worst I’ve ever seen and Axiom was only a small portion of it.

Another bad sign is when Google auto completes “av123 p” to “av123 problems.”

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #294591 03/01/10 07:06 PM
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: grunt
Another bad sign is when Google auto completes “av123 p” to “av123 problems.”

LMAO

HG Cherry M60's,VP150,Qs8's,EP350
Sloped #294599 03/01/10 07:49 PM
shareholder in the making

grunt #294604 03/01/10 08:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: grunt
 Originally Posted By: Dr. House

You brought up another excellent point that is pertinent about buying online and one of the "warning signs" and that is active censorship on the company forum (if it has one). You have been seeing this with their moderators or employees and also long time supporters of the company recommending, downplaying or staying quiet on very important and serious issues that they are fully aware when people ask about their products. Most of these individuals that got suckered in within the last year or so are probably going to be without a warranty . On a separate note I am also noticing a lot of censorship at Emotiva lately (which makes them not very attractive to me as a company)

There is another form of censorship to watch for, that of the forum member themselves.

Definitely, though I think all company forums have of form of fanboyism (I am even guilty of it from time to time). However there is a clear pattern of some of their long time supporters defending this company beyond any rational way. Things like the constant quality issues with their products (most specifially their electronics), late deliveries which people where charged their credit card (some go well well beyond a year) and some to this day have never received anything!

Just imagine if somone purchased something from Axiom and it was expected in two weeks and never received their products up to even two months. Would you defend them? I certainly would not. Even customers being refused refunds and having their funds forced into store credit. Unbelievable! Even in those times people brushed it under the rug and continued to recommended their products. Shameful.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
pmbuko #294608 03/01/10 08:11 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Morbid curiosity is such a fascinating thing. None of us want to see anyone going down in flames, but when they do, we just can't seem to look away.

I bitch about people that slow down to check out highway accidents, yet I'm 'driving by' this thread daily to check out the accident.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #294617 03/01/10 08:36 PM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
Yes, but you're aren't holding anyone else up by doing so.

Sloped #294619 03/01/10 08:51 PM
 Originally Posted By: Sloped
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
It's pretty sad to see an online community dissolving. Even if (for some reason) that community has been a bunch of jerks to our community at certain times.

I don't think you should generalize like that. Couple people there, a couple people here.

Stones in glass houses and all that.

You're absolutely right.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #294636 03/01/10 10:05 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
What a mess.

As much as some people want to make this solely about the raffles and related indictments, it seems to me that the malfeasance was a symptom of a failing business. People seem to justifiably feel wounded because MLS' candor and charisma drew them in and gave them confidence in the products and joy in their purchases. Now that the messenger's integrity has been destroyed, even customers who weren't victims of the raffle scam will likely lose a measure of happiness in their lives.

It remains baffling and disappointing to me when we cannot rely on the fundamental honesty of our fellow creatures.

When you've found a job doing something you love and something that brings joy to people, and then mess it up by lying and stealing, that's just low.

I guess doing business with - and surrounding yourself with - people of good character isn't such a cliche after all.

I feel bad for Jack.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #294640 03/01/10 10:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Nice post Tom. I agree with you all on counts. \:\)

*Michael*
AV123 Refugee - X-LS Encore, X-Voce, X-Omnis, Elt-Dpa's
Denon AVR-591
Magnavox NB500MGX BDP

tomtuttle #294641 03/01/10 10:25 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
I feel bad for Jack.
I appreciate the sympathy, Tom, but I haven't been connected with AV123 for nearly a year or more now. This is a disturbing situation, however.

It would be so simple if people were either all good or all bad. But, I have been the beneficiary of, and witnessed others who have been the beneficiary of, Mark's kindness and generosity. How do I reconcile that with this mess?

There is nothing good in this whole thing. Mark suffers, his company suffers, his friends suffer, his victims (if proved guilty) suffer, the charities suffer, the internet audio community suffers, etc., etc., etc. It's a total disaster.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,481
Members15,617
Most Online2,082