Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Suggestions for complete system ~ $3,000 CAD
#33699 02/11/04 10:26 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I'll start this post as MANY have: I've been lurking for months now, great forum. I was oh-so-close to purchasing a pair of M60s a few months ago for a stereo-only system, but choose the Paradigm Studio 60v2s instead. Now to my question
I have the joy of spending a friend's money!!! He is in the final stages of finishing his basement (~ 20'x15'x8' ceiling)), and has a budget as listed above. He is interested in 5.1, and requires all speakers and a receiver. I'm a Paradigm fan, as you can tell by my profile, but I'm more than a little intrigued by Axiom, and I figure what better way to audition them then with a friends money 'insert sarcasm'. His system will be 50/50 -- music/HT, and he is a fan of base with 'punch'. He has horrible taste in music... enjoys cranking Tool, Rage Against the Machine and the likes. I've tried to convince him of the joys of Diana Krawl, Norah Jones and Harry Connick Jr to no avail... so, I have a few systems in mind with a Paradigm/NAD combination but I'm curious to hear from the Axiom forum regulars. Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Re: Suggestions for complete system ~ $3,000 CAD
#33700 02/11/04 11:04 PM
old hand
old hand
I'd suggest that he get the Epic Grand Master setup - and most would suggest you sub out (ha! a pun) the Axiom subwoofer for an HSU STF-2... I've heard you kind of pay thru the nose to get those in Canada, so you might actually just want to stick to the package deal.

That leaves you $1000 CDN for the receiver, which should probably be OK.

If you think he likes his music more laid back (which might be a bad choice of words considering his taste in music) and want to save some cash, then you might suggest the Epic Master. By "laid back" I mean the mid-bass would be more pronounced - making it sound richer and probably a little "punchier" sounding.

Either way, you really can't go wrong. From reading many reviews on this site, everyone seems to agree that the Axioms are tonally very similar to the Paradigms. A friend of mine has one of the top-end Paradigms (can't remember model #) - and the tweeter sound is indeed very similar. My Axioms are definitely more laid-back than his (I have the M40) - but they cost about 1/3.

I personally like the laid-back, or "rich" sound of the M40s.. (don't even need a subwoofer for just music) but I listen to a lot of vinyl, and anything with a tinny sound just amplifies surface noise. I'm not saying that the Axiom would sound tinny, I just don't want a speaker that gives anymore emphasis to that upper mid spectrum. I am dying to audition some M22's... which I probably will one day soon.

Well... I hope that helped.

#33701 02/12/04 12:23 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I agree that that package would be good, but I'm concerned that you say he likes to "really crank" his music. Bookshelf speakers don't hold up to extreme volume playing nearly as well as a tower. His taste in music may also benefit from a speaker that's not quite as detail oriented.

Having said that, I'd recommend the following:

M50ti
VP100
QS4
Hsu STF-2

As far as a receiver goes, any of the usual suspects would work fine. Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, H/K...

Good luck!

ps - Curious...did you get a chance to hear the M60ti's before purchasing your Paradigm towers?

#33702 02/12/04 12:41 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks for the quick responces... keep'em'comin.
I like the system(s) nowave suggests, I think for home theater the bookshelves would work great. I'm interested in spiffnme's suggestion in going with the M50ti as mains. I've very rarely seen anyone recomend these.

re: "Curious...did you get a chance to hear the M60ti's before purchasing your Paradigm towers?"... no I did not. I was/am hesitant to purchase something as personal (dare I say intimate) such as speakers without hearing them. I ended up getting a great deal on new Studio 60v2 when the v3 was released.

#33703 02/12/04 12:57 AM
axiomite
axiomite
The M60's are usually the speaker of choice for most tower buyers, because of their amazing clarity. But if your friend is going to be cranking stuff like Tool, and Rage Against the Machine, then something a tad more subdued, like the M50's would probably be a better fit.

I asked about the Paradigms because I had the chance to hear a pair of the new v3's and was suprisingly unimpressed. It could very well have been something with the setup I heard though, as I've always heard good things about Paradigm.

#33704 02/12/04 01:54 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I know these guys tend to disparage the Axiom subs but I have 0 complaints with my EP350. It can rattle the whole house, plays music well, and has alot of what I think these guys call "slam". I would like it better if it wasn't a squat black cube. The SVS cylinder sub with the wood veneer would be my dream sub, but only from an aesthetic standpoint. The EP350 is no slouch.

#33705 02/12/04 02:44 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks for the note on the Axiom sub... It would be nice to enjoy the saving of ordering an entire system from Axiom. Maybe a 'road-trip' to the factory is in order: I'm still hesitant to spend several thousand $ (even if it's a friends money) on speakers without auditioning them.

#33706 02/12/04 02:53 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I see your point on the M50. Could go with M50, VP100 and QS8 for ~ $1,700 (if I can get over the 'not hearing them' issue), leaves me with plenty for a decent sub and a receiver. Or would I be better off upgrading the center to the VP150 and staying with QS4?

Re: the Paradigm v3s, I too was unimpressed by them, I much prefer the v2s. I understand the v3s were 'voiced' more for HT (or so my dealer states) and I've read many reports of Paradigm fans preferring the old v2s to the new release.

#33707 02/12/04 03:35 AM
I
frequent flier
frequent flier
I
Since budget is not a big issue, why not get the m80's. I also listen to some whom you mentioned along with Etta James, Diana Washington, Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters Etc... as well as Tool, RATM, System o/a Down, Classical, Jazz and so on at quite loud levels.
It all sounds amazing along with many dvd's. I did install 2ohm resistors in both sets of tweeters to smooth out the highs.

#33708 02/12/04 03:54 AM
aficionado
aficionado
DD, another option might be to buy the M60tis, VP150 & QS8s and forget about the sub for now. That should come out to a little less than $2000 with a package deal. You're friend will have a great system (there's plenty of bass from the M60tis) that will last him a long time. The remaining $1000 would be enough to pick up a good quality receiver. Then a little while down the road when he can save up some more dough, he can add a sub to the setup and have a damn fine ht.

"Chickens don't clap."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,489
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,065 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup