Rate Thread
Looking for Direction!
#50403 06/23/04 06:24 PM
J
JHunt Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hello!

I have read all of the reviews and am amazed at what I have read. I am in the process of looking for speakers and thought that I had narrowed my search to Paradigm Monitor 11 mains with the CC-370 center and Monitor 5 Rears. Then I stumbled across Axiom. My question is this has anyone owned or auditioned these speakers (Paradigm) and then purchased the Axiom's?

I am an avid movie buff but, I also love to listen to music (sometimes a bit too loud!), My listening taste is mostly Alternative rock / Metal, My wife on the other hand listens to dance music from time to time.

My room is not the best but I rent and don't plan on being here much longer. When I do move into a house we will have a dedicated room. At the moment my room dimensions are this 12' wide x 24' Long. The room is cluttered with furnature and my other love, A 200+ Gallon Reef Aquarium!!

Any way I have nothing but a new Yahmaha RXV1400 Receiver And DVD player that's it. I was leaning towards the M80ti mains, Vp150 Center and M3ti rears. Is this a wise investment and would I be pleased with my decision over the Paradigm's?

Sorry for the long winded post but I felt it would be best to provide the information to help with your advice!

Avalibility to Audition these speakers I believe would help with the sale of them. I have read that others have not purchased them mainly due to this fact! My wife would also like me to purchase what I can hear, (she knows how picky I am) only to be sure I won't something else in a years time.

Thanks in advance,

James

Re: Looking for Direction!
#50404 06/23/04 08:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

My question is this has anyone owned or auditioned these speakers (Paradigm) and then purchased the Axiom's?

Yes...many times. Axioms are generally compared to Paradigms elite "reference" line of speakers. Which as I'm sure you're aware, cost a LOT more than the comparable Axioms.

In reply to:

I was leaning towards the M80ti mains, Vp150 Center and M3ti rears.

For your room, I'd suggest the M60ti mains, VP150 center, and QS8 surrounds. The QS surrounds will timbre match the center and mains better. The M3ti is Axiom's unofficial "bedroom" speaker. (meaning, it's the preferred speaker for a small 2 channel system in a bedroom) The QS8's are routinely praised as being "the best surround speaker I've ever heard!" (Myself included)

Bottom line, get the Axioms, and don't even worry about those Paradigms.

#50405 06/23/04 08:51 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Spiff is on the nose. Assuming you will be using your system for movies as well as for music, it would kill me (actually, it would kill you) if you missed the surround capabilities of the QS8s. If you really prefer direct radiating rear speakers for surrounds, look at the M2s or M22s.

Look through this thread to see if there's anyone near you who would be willing to demo their speakers for you. If you don't find anyone, call Axiom, and they might be able to help you find someone. They are very nice folks, and won't hype you at all.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#50406 06/23/04 09:01 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I am currently using M60's, the VP150 and a set of direct radiating M22's as rears...I live in a rent house and did not want to have to hang the QS8's and leave a huge bunch of holes.

The M22's as rears are exceptional...albeit not as exceptional as the QS8's but are very expansive in the soundstage they throw. They continue to amaze me whenever I watch any movie. We do plan on getting the QS8's in the future when we move into our own house. The M22's will then be relegated to use with multi-channel DVD-A and SACD playback.

You really cannot go wrong in either direction. Find someone close who has Axiom's and give them a listen. Your wallet will thank you.

My .02,

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044