Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
CD FACTOR afterword: Import cd's
#60970 09/15/04 04:56 PM
LT61 Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
In this country, awash with "imported products" I find it kind of "ironic", that ONE of the few products that I WANT to buy made elswhere, is the "import cd".
I have found over the years, that they usually are "better" than most domestic releases. Even with the internet, they are often elusive, and only a "smattering" of them are in local record stores most of the time, and Like our domestic cd's, quickly going in and out of print.
For some reason, the imports are almost always a more "deluxe" package.(even import compilations are more "interesting").
Many have:
Bonus tracks, (even years ago), picture discs, sometimes un-released tracks, booklets with more photos, annotation, and more copious notes.
I have a fair amount of them in my collection, and I find another ironic point being their "high prices".(Import products are supposed to be less expensive right)?
In sharp contrast, are the domestic cd's, many are, and were "budget" releases.(with the exception of the more recent re-masters).
I just wanted to tie up some loose ends I didn't put in the other posts.

One other thing, I just got a cd (made in england) the other day, and in it's booklet it said: "mastered at 48 bit rate, for superior sound"............ is this new, or a typo?.......anyone?

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
Re: CD FACTOR afterword: Import cd's
#60971 09/21/04 11:00 PM
aficionado
aficionado
It can definitely be mastered at 48-bit, but it will just be put on the CD at the standard Redbook (IEC 60908) HD-CD 16-bit/44.1 kHz PCM. HDCD is a technology that Microsoft has rights to that allows for 20 bits and full backward compatibility with standard CD-DA format. I highly doubt that this is a HDCD though, as they aren't too popular. (I've only seen one in my life.)

The studios use higher bit rates and sampling rates to increase sound quality (or at least that's the plan). The reason for over sampling (which I assume they probably do to 96 or 192 kHz) is to prevent aliasing near the top end of the CD's bandwidth (~22.05 kHz by Nyquist Theorem). This is generally combined with some kind of dithering and noise shaping. That is also done on the decoding end. The bit rate in mastering would have a much less marked effect than over sampling, and some would argue that the only thing noticeable would be that they spent more time and care mastering that particular selection. It's what is known as a "confounding (or lurking) variable" in statistics since changing one (the bit rate or sampling rate during mastering) will usually change the other (the care spent in mastering the CD).

#60972 09/21/04 11:05 PM
shareholder in the making
where'd you copy and paste that from?

#60973 09/21/04 11:11 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I will take that as a compliment, as I didn't copy / paste from anywhere other than MS Word for spelling mistakes. (I can NEVER spell "definitely" correctly. It's just one of those words for me...)

#60974 09/21/04 11:17 PM
compliment given, then. College must be good for something, eh?

#60975 09/21/04 11:22 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
DJ,

Do you have any thoughts on upsampling.I have a MSB Link Dac III and was considering a upsample card for it.I'm not quite sure what the advantages or disadvantages would be.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#60976 09/21/04 11:23 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Heh I guess it must be, although neither what I study (Systems Neuroscience) nor what I do at work (MRI processing for research projects) has almost nothing to do with technology.

In reply to:

DJ,

Do you have any thoughts on upsampling.I have a MSB Link Dac III and was considering a upsample card for it.I'm not quite sure what the advantages or disadvantages would be.

I think that for the most part up-sampling will give you limited noticeable results, if any. As I kind of touched on earlier, the type of dithering (soft ATH noise shaping seems to be many people's favorite) will make a bigger impact on sound quality. I am unfamiliar with your DAC, but looking on google, its stats are fairly impressive. It already supports 24 bit and 96 kHz, and Stereophile loved it. I highly doubt the upgrade to 192 kHz would make any noticeable difference, although I don't doubt that an upgrade has the potential to change the sound. I just think that it would be something else about the upgrade that would potentially change it, not the up-sampling itself. I would spend my money elsewhere if it were my hardware.

Edit: I forgot to say that up-sampling in no way will increase the sound quality to a level that is attainable through a higher resolution audio format such as DVD-A or SACD. While in the end, the output may be as highly sampled, it is still just interpolation.

By the way, what kind of hardware are you running with that nice DAC?

#60977 09/21/04 11:39 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
DJ, Thanks for your input.

I have a Rotel RB1080 amp/RotelRc1070 pre/Outlaw Icbm/Sony C222es 5 disc changer the dac of course.Speakers are Axiom M80's and dual Hsu Vtf-2"s

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#60978 09/21/04 11:46 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Wow - that is definitely a monster system (especially that RB1080). I noticed that your CD player also handles SACD. I've been wanting to do the upgrade to a high-res audio format for a while. What are your experiences wtih it? Have you compared any SACDs to Redbook CDs of the same album yet? I wonder, though, if that would be a fair test, as the quality gain could be just extra care during the mastering process

#60979 09/21/04 11:53 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
I do have Stevie Ray Vaughn Texas Flood in both formats.Using the Link dac as opposed to the Sonys dac I don't hear a major improvement to warrant any more puschases of the new format.

Rick

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters