Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Re: Code of Conduct
#76647 01/14/05 10:35 PM
shareholder in the making
I'm not familiar with the term troll as it's used here, but I'll accept the terminolgy if it's commonly used...i.e., if the troll fits.....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#76648 01/14/05 10:52 PM
Perhaps it's time to discuss the etymology of the term 'troll' as it's used here. The term has much more to do with the fisherman's version of the definition: a lure or net dragged alongside the boat, used to ensnare fish.

So when you think of the term troll, think of someone planting hooks in the juicy meat of the thread just waiting for someone to take a bite. They don't necessarily have to look like warty and disfigured creatures of folklore.

But if you want to think of them as warty and disfigured individuals, I've got no problem with that.

#76649 01/14/05 11:18 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Don't worry Spiff. Not all of us think people into comics are "Comic Shop Guy" on the Simpons. And, according to PVP you are on the cutting edge of a new movement!

Speaking of comics (HIJACK), have you seen the preview for Constantine? Did you know that it was coming? Any other JC fans here who are worried that this movie will be Matrix 4?

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#76650 01/14/05 11:23 PM
axiomite
axiomite
LOL...that's too funny. The shop I go to is very neat and clean. Never crossed my mind that the owner might be "family".

I did see the trailer for that...looked so-so. I'll have to wait and see.

Have you seen the trailer for Sin City? Now that looks amazing!

#76651 01/14/05 11:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I've only heard it used that way as in, "trolling for trim", but that is a whole other topic all together...we don't need to go there with this thread

#76652 01/14/05 11:39 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Hmm. I'll have to check that out when I get home. I can't seem to get to it from work. The comments on various sites seem positive. Plus I have not read that book, so I won't be angry at changes.

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#76653 01/14/05 11:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I like the free-wheeling and generally civil discussions on this site. One of its virtues is its lack of moderator intrusion. By and large everyone here conducts themselves well - everyone brings their own values, character and personality to everything they do, including their participation on this site.

Let a thousand flowers bloom.

There are folks who will from time to time drop into our forum and dump a load of gasoline and toss a match. PFFOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPHHHHHHHHHH. This kind of misconduct will provoke the warrior members to gird their loins and do battle. OK, so what?

Do we need a code of conduct? No, everyone, including those who come to make trouble know the difference between good behavior and bad. Do we have to generate a codex of rules to deal with this contingency? No.

"Even a dog knows the difference between being tripped over and kicked." Oliver W. Holmes.

"I may not be able to define obscenity, but I know it when I see it." Magistrate in United States v. Loji Sales.

So, I think the answer is, include a "report this post to moderators" button, and if the moderators are in a foul mood, push the button and ban the miscreant from this realm. This remedy should be used only for the MOST flagrant violations of civil discourse. If we are unable to accomplish this technical capital punishment, then I suggest we shun the miscreant. Ignore the post and let the thread sink to oblivion, or if the thread is worth our participation, just ignore the troll.

Let's not get our knickers in a knot over this. We have a great site. Let's just keep playing.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#76654 01/14/05 11:54 PM
aficionado
aficionado
If I get your meaning Zarak, that's actually from the same etymological roots as the fisherman's "troll". Originally it was to stroll around aimlessly, and very similar to "trawl" which is to use some sort of dragnet, as well as to "trail" or drag something behind. "Trolling" in the fishing sense then can be readily understood as wandering somewhat aimlessly like strolling, but in a boat with a baited line cast out. So then, the slang meaning I think you're implying is drawn from that, being to roam around with the "baited hook" of sorts being one's self, and it not being fish one is trying to catch.

The etymology of the mythical "troll" (only used as a noun) is quite different and unrelated to this sense of "troll" (which is really only officially a verb.) The verb form has been sort of coloquially combined with the mythical noun form to produce a new noun, indicative of a foul individual who puts out bait and waits for people to snap it up.

I don't think you will find a noun form of "troll" in any dictionary that is listed as "one who trolls" or something to that effect.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#76655 01/15/05 12:41 AM
X
X
A note from GD,

It’s been quite interesting watching for the last few days to see if anyone actually made some sense out of what transpired recently. Much to my surprise I have seen only one poster offer up the suggestion that I was disrespected 1st. The others here are still offering up the usual denial about how they indeed did institute the initial offerings of off-color comments and belittling.

Alex you offered me the opportunity to audition the m60’s at your home, which was a genuinely great offer from someone who doesn’t know me 1 iota. At this point I certainly was not considered a troll as you all have so eloquently put it. In fact everyone was pretty good when I posted about how much I loved my m60’s etc. it wasn’t until I ran into the problems with my vp-150 that the real side of the mainstay of this forum decided to surface.

Shortly after posting my woes with the 150 the threads took the immediate turn to what I term “damage control”.

In an almost twisted way I was demoted from fellow axiom comrade to being likened to another user whom, I would now guess, had to deal with the harshness that I did and was deemed to be a “troll”

The discrediting campaign had started, “it must be your room”, “mine is great”, “you’re doing something wrong”
Though it seemed a bit strange I still had to remember I was on an axiom board, what did I expect? Objectivity? (More on this later)

When I had posted my content with the cc-370 I was again met with snide remarks and usual criticism.

Well the precedent had been set. It seemed from this point on any time I would post about anything it was met with some form of spiteful reply, but remember it was me who was the troll, let’s not forget that just yet. Yes I have a problem with disrespect and yes I did retaliate against what now has proven to be the axiom pack of wolves. In the real world if someone gets in my face it’s not met with turning away. Obviously that’s the case for many of you also, as you have proven, denial or not, you did your fair share to incite and escalate the situation. But remember in your eyes it’s not a 2 way street and I was the only party deemed to be a troll, a troll for having the gumption to take on the group of you.

As far as the objective remark I meant exactly what I wrote. Think about this for a second:
You go into a ford dealership and ask about a new car, what car do you think they will try to sell you? No secret here, a ford.

But pretend you are a novice to cars, maybe it’s your 1st car. You would not get an objective fair and unbiased response from the dealership. They would force a ford down your throat until you ended up buying one. That was the point I wanted to make to the original poster. Simply look around for some unbiased reviews.

I was really shocked that so many took offense to that one remark. I assure you it really was not said with any malicious intent; it was simply to guide the poster to read all the material he could about it.

One other issue I wanted to address was when poor tbenn posted a remark in one of the hot topics and got roasted by you guys, I wanted to laugh because you guys were so caught up in your witch hunt and were so sure it was me no one ever stopped to realize hey, what if its not? And it wasn’t!
I really felt bad wondering what he must have thought.

In the end I really do like my m60’s, unfortunately axioms other products proved not to be to my liking, No harm no foul.

I never wanted to be in your secret society, I just wanted to stop by once in a while and post my thoughts. I have never been labeled a “troll” before, maybe retaliatory or irritable, but not a troll.

I think is weird how much you guys are still feeding on this with daily posts referring to “Genetic” this and “Genetic” that, while it’s flattering it is a bit strange. It’s like watching a whole town come out and kick a dead horse over and over.

I harbor no ill-will toward any of you but please take a look at yourself in the mirror on this whole situation, maybe put yourself in my shoes for a moment.

Best of luck to everyone.

GD

#76656 01/15/05 12:46 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
See, this will be the test on that "don't feed it and it will go away" theory.

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters