Well, I managed to do a little testing between the VTF-2 and the SVS 20-39PCi and thought everyone might be interested. It was mostly HT based, using Depth Charges from U571 and the cave troll from LOTR scenes, in addition to ones mentioned earlier. Before I start, no it was not scientfic...no blind testing, so using an SPL to set sound levels on the sub, etc....just my impressions.

I felt the SVS wasn't as tight as the VTF-2. There was more of an ongoing roll to some of the bass parts. During U571 when the charges go down and then the water explodes up(above water view) with the VTF-2 I felt the bass right under my seat, and then it seemed to spread out as the water did. It was a pretty nice effect. I did not get this from the SVS.

On the other hand, I had my fiancee watch scenes with each one hooked up and she did do it blind. I went back and hooked up a sub without letting her know, played the scene, switched them, and played it again. She preferred the SVS, but it seemed more because the VTF was too much bass for her. That was strange to me, because that had been my first impression as well, but then I turned up the SVS to 3/4 of the way and the VTF still seemed like it had more.

I'm sure many will disagree, since the SVS is supposed to be the better sub, and I'll admit that it is possible that in my mind I wanted to like the VTF-2 better since that's the one I am keeping(SVS goes back Wednesday), but that was my impression anyway.