Never: no, my friend, this is not about power supplies, capacitors and the like. If you have "linear" amplifiers specified to be spectrally flat from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz and distortion products way below 1 %, THEN THEY CAN NOT SOUND DIFFERENT, unless there is something different input to them. I'm sorry, that is just the definition of a "linear" amplifier. What goes in the input is reproduced "exactly" at the output, but with a higher power/ voltage/ current. If it isn't, then you don't have a linear amplifier. That much is clear. Or, could it be, that the so called "linear" amplifiers really aren't linear. As I recall. the FTC specs are tested with a single tone???

So, given the above, what makes one receiver "brighter"
than another if it isn't the preprocessing?

I'm not saying that you haven't heard differences. Maybe you have. But, if you have, what caused them?

I know that I have learned a lot about amplifiers/ power supply design and implementation on another thread on this board. I would like to better understand what is going on before the amplifiers.

Before I buy another receiver or separates, I would like to better understand what games manufacturers are currently playing!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ratpack; 07/12/05 11:38 AM.

The Rat. M80s, VP-150, QS8s, SVS PC 20-39+, OPPO, Onkyo 703s, Harmony 880 Sony 60" SXRD HDTV