The idea behind moving your listening location a distance away from the main speakers is to create a seamless stereo sound from left to right. If you are sitting too close to your main speakers then this seamless 'soundstage' is lost (your ears can pick out distinctive left and right without having any stereo effect...the 'phantom centre' as it has been referred to lately).

Since the M60s are considerably larger than the M22s, they produce a different soundstage, usually larger. In order to setup the speakers for the best creation of the IDEAL soundstage the larger speaker need more room for position adjusting. This does not mean you cannot buy the M60s and listen to them at 6 feet or 8 feet away. My own listening room limits me to an 8 foot distance. I've compensated somewhat for the shorter distance by setting the M60s further apart.
The M60s are more designed for a larger room so if you have a small listening area then the M22s are typically plenty wide in their soundstage and volume to fill the room. If you have a 13x22 area and only half is the HT area, then the M22s would be just fine. However, you mention that your wife is not keen on the M22s sitting on stands and you are also unsure as to the detailed sound of the M22/M60.
In this case, i would recommend you audition the M40s or M50s if you are set on Axiom as the brand.
Randyman reviewed the M50s vs M60s awhile ago. You can read his post here
Here is a post by fhw who reviewed the m40s, vs m50s vs m80s
The M80s will sound virtually identical to the M60s except for the M80 extended bass and according to Ian, will play louder than the M60s to give you an idea of comparison.

If shipping costs are not really a concern, then take Axiom's 30d trial and give them a listen.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."