Actually, they don't, which prompted this whole thing. Maybe I've got something set up wrong, but when I tried to watch T2 for the first time the other night, I could hear all the explosions, motors, etc, and dialog off to the side just fine. When the character was centered on the screen, it was hard to hear. I had the DVD player hooked up to the receiver over digital coax, with Bitstream output, playing DD5.1 (the same result with DPL2.0), and the receiver set to DD. When I switched the receiver to VMAX (H/K's virtual surround), I got the center back (sort of), but the treble was so boosted I didn't even want to watch. Had the same problem with Dr. T and the Women the next day (although we turned that one off pretty darn fast and sent it back to Netflix ;-P) The only DVDs I've had good luck with (and the only ones I've tried since I got this thing) were DD 2.0 DVDs such as the Muppet Show, Dark Ages, and the Simpsons. Just for info purposes, I've got Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble 1s as my mains.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!