Recently, in two different threads about Axioms over at AVS, one vociferous poster has attacked Axiom based on his perceived discrepancy between the stated frequency response on the Axiom website and the accompanying graphs for the M22s, M60s, and M80s. I hesitated to post this, because I didn't want it to seem I was inviting people over to AVS to join in the unpleasantness. But both threads were eventually, and mercifully, locked by the moderators.

Here is one of his posts:

"So according to those graphs, as I read them:
m22ti are +/- 3dB from 77Hz to 18kHz
m60ti are +/- 3dB from 65Hz to 17.5KHz (or +/- 4dB from 37.5 to 18.5k depending on how you want to see it)
m80ti are +/- 3.5dB (I'm generous!) from 55hz to 17.5hz

Axiom's specifications (on their webpage):
m22ti: Freq Resp +/-3dB: 60 - 22kHz
m60ti: Freq Resp +/-3dB: 37 - 22kHz
m80ti: Freq Resp +/-3dB: 34 - 22kHz

no one explained that to me yet Axiom has the graphs on their webpage (graph link right next to their FR specs). Can they not read their own graphs?! I still don't get that, either I'm reading the graphs wrong, or Axiom is publishing false information...

Its very large differences... lower extension: 17 Hz for m22ti, 25+ hz for m60 and ~20 hz for m80... Highs, off by 4000Hz, as they all drop at around 17500Hz and not 22000Hz like spec'd by Axiom...

They don't say 'non-anechoic', but even if it did, it doesn't seem to hold up since I can't see a room which wouldn't mess up the +/- 3dB, & increase highs & lower extension...
"

And from a later post:

'Just as a consumer, I don't enjoy being lied to... I believe that if you say your product does X and Y, it should do X and Y...."

It pains me to see a company I respect, and people I respect and like, being characterized as "liars" who are "publishing false information." I don't have enough technical expertise, or know enough about reading graphs to confirm or deny the person's assessments. So, I'd be grateful for any ammunition you can provide so the next time this comes up, and I suspect it WILL come up again (he seems to have made it his personal crusade to save the world from the evil Axiom empire) I can respond to him with cold hard facts.

M22 Freq Resp +/-3dB: 60 - 22kHz

M60 Freq Resp +/-3dB (Hz): 37 - 22kHz

M80 Freq Resp +/-3dB (Hz): 34 - 22kHz

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton