Hello everyone, new to the forums. I've read through about the past year of posts, and I've made appointments to audition various speakers; hopefully I've done enough homework to frame my questions. Care to help a budding audiophile fill in some details?

Due to a nice fat bonus from work in the form of gift certificates to Amazon, I'm taking the plunge on some Axioms. I'm looking for some advice on my setup. I've done a lot of research, so hopefully this gives enough info to work from:
  • My audio setup is geared for music. I'll play the occasional DVD but 95% of the time it's music streamed from my PowerMac via optical. I may expand it into a full HT setup later, so if the speakers I get are flexible enough for that, all the better.
  • I listen mostly to electronica and jazz. Most of the electronica is really dymanic/atmospheric soundscape - Sasha, Shpongle, Hallucinogen and Autechre. My jazz is mostly technically complex Davis/Coltrane/Ellington. So, I want crystal-clear highs, and at the same time clear, deep bass. I don't need the opening scene of 'Saving Private Ryan' to rattle windows.
  • It's a small apartment, so as much as I want them, m60's are out of the question. This is coastal California, so odds are when I get into a condo/house I probably won't need them then, either. I need big sound in a small package.
  • The space is 'bright' and problematic. It has hardwood floors, 8' plastered ceiling and only a few 'soft' things - a futon couch and a fairly plush area rug - to break it up. It has a lot of windows. It's also a 20'x15' 'L-shape'. The only thing dividing the space is a metal bookshelf, one of those industrial jobs on casters, so it's not really divided at all.
The current set-up:

What I want to do:
  • Replace my crusty old speakers in the living room with m22's or m50's
  • Replace my Klipsh computer speakers with m2's or m3's
  • If I need it, add a EP-125 or EP-175 subwoofer on the floor below the shelves to cover the whole area
Option 1: Two floorstanding, two bookself:

Option 2: Four bookshelf, one sub:

So, I guess my questions are really...
1) For my space, and the music I like, is there a clear-cut better choice between the m22's and m50's in the living room?
2) Which will give me a fuller, more accurate sound... a set of m50's and m3's, or a set of m22's, m2's, and a sub? Or, something else?
3) Will that placement of the sub work? If not, where should it go? Ideally, I want it there, in an unobtrusive place that keeps my arrangement as open as possible.
4) Which sub is more appropriate for this set-up, an EP-125 or EP-175? I want the components to be in balance with each other. I'm a bit concerned with over-buying on one component.

Thanks for any help, and I hope you appreciate my illustrations.