There was an interesting thread over on AVS (I think) a few days ago talking about the 2 driver SVS boxes vs. single driver. I found the thread via a link from here, will see if I can dig it up. The comparison in this case was single driver Ultra vs. dual driver Plus.

The main point (backed by the SVS principals) was that the 2 driver SVS boxes tend to have a higher tune point and will generally play louder but not deeper than the singles. The conclusion was that a single driver Ultra was probably the way to go unless you were hitting the SPL limits, in which case the 2 driver Plus was the way to go.

I don't know what the tune point is for the 2 driver Ultra but it would be interesting to find out. Bottom line seemed to be that you can stuff ports and get a sloping, deeper response but if you want a flat deep response you need a bigger box with a lower native tune point.

I have not seen a good head-to-head comparison of the EPs vs. the SVSs (nor, in fact, have I even seen a good SVS vs. Hsu comparison either). Next time I get some free time I guess we need to organize a sub war -- I think we have enough variety on the board here to get a pretty good group of subs together.

EDIT - I just took a quick look at the SVS pages. The single driver PB Plus and Ultra have a native tune point of 20 Hz and enclosure volume close to the EP600. The dual driver Plus and Ultra have an enclosure that is less than 20% larger, and a native tune point of 25 Hz. If you are looking for deep and smooth rather than loud I would think hard about sticking with the single driver subs (whether SVS or Axiom) rather than the "/2"s.

Last edited by bridgman; 08/11/05 12:47 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8