Speaking of upgraditis (another thread), I either just hit the limits of my current system or one of my speakers is a bit off. Playing Lee Aaron's "Beautiful Things", first track -- Museum -- on the M60s, surround off, no sub. Turned the volume up more than normal and started to get a hard edge on the vocals at the loudest parts. The song is a real torture test for speakers -- string bass playing low and loud, high brass, female vocals and electric guitar washes all lurching along on slightly different time signatures, so they drift in and out of sync. It gets kinda loud when they all sync up.

Tried putting the speakers into "small" with a 100 Hz cutoff to take away most of the amp load but the sound still seemed to be there. It was a bit hard to tell because I backed off the instant I heard anything bad -- didn't feel destructive testing was appropriate

Sounds like a midrange problem on one channel only but the mix is different between the channels. Next step is to swap the speakers. Average SPL was about 95dB C weighted slow, so probably quite a bit higher on the peaks.

It certainly sounds more like a speaker problem than clipping -- seemed to coincide with the loudest midrange signals not the bass. I have never even felt like I was approaching the limits before but then again this was (a) a particularly demanding track and (b) louder than normal.

So... I realize this is almost irrelevant but I'll ask anyways -- M60 owners, have any of you felt you have hit the limits in terms of how loudly the speakers would play comfortably ? If so, what SPL, what kind of music etc.. ?

Thanks,
John

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8