I think we're having a communication problem here.

First, as far as I know, this is physically impossible "Should I place one set in front of the first row and behind the first row." I don't think one set can be both "in front of the first row," and "behind the first row" at the same time.

Second, This also is physically impossible "Should I place one set in front of the first row and behind the second row." Since the first row is the one closest to the screen, if you put a set "in front of the first row," it will, of course, be in front of the second row as well."

The Axiom FAQ states --

"Ideally, surround speakers (these are called 'side surrounds') should be either wall-mounted or stand-mounted to either side of the couch or primary listening area, from one to six feet higher than seated listeners' ears, and slightly forward or rearwards of the listening area if you wish. Axiom's Quadpolar surrounds are especially versatile and can yield excellent performance with stand or wall-mounting to the rear as well as at side locations. (see our dedicated stands for the QS Surround speakers in the Store). Rear surround speakers for 6.1 and 7.1 installations are intended to go on the rear wall at about the same height as the surround speakers."

Based on the above, and keeping in mind that the first row is the row closest to the screen, I'd place the side surrounds on the side walls behind the first row, and in front of the second row, about equisdant from where peoples heads will be in both rows.

The rear surrounds would go on the back wall, which is the wall directly behind the backs of the couches, regardless of how far back that wall is, unless it's in the next county.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton