Here's some more thoughts regarding transferring 78's and LP's to CDs.
In addition to the turntable, you'll need a phono pre-amp to create a line level output to feed to the computer. If your computer has built in audio, you can use it for casual use, but your results won't be great. If you want really good quality, then you need to invest in a dedicated sound card. Soundblaster cards are best known and OK, but you can get better cards for the same money. Expect to pay from ~$100 US for a decent card to over $1,000 for a pro model.

Also, one of the big advantages of conversion is to digitally restore the recording. I use software from Diamond Cut Productions (www.diamondcut.com). It's amazing how much you can clean up old recordings.

If you consider the Stanton Turntable, be aware that two different arms available. The straight arm was designed for DJ work, while the S-shaped arm is better suited for transferring to digital (it has less tracking error).

Keep in mind that 78's weren't recorded using the hi-fi RIAA equalization curve. Almost all phono pre-amps have RIAA eq built in. For 78's, you have to use a "reverse" RIAA curve to take out the eq, then apply the correct rollover for the decade and label. I use a special sound card with a phono pre-amp that is flat, it doesn't add any EQ. I add it using the restoration software.

Check out this site also: http://www.tracertek.com

Doug