Having read through the 9 pages on that list - I am now confused (it doesn't take much).

I guess to use multichannel on the early pioneer universal players one has to hope his receiver can do bass management, or get an outlaw ICBM unit or live with crossovers to the sub as high as 120Hz (SACD) and 200HZ (DVD-A) depending on the format.

I have been using my receiver to do the BM but I don't think it is great at it either - I will have to look again.

I think the problem is that in 5.1 channel mode it will only play the LFE info. So, if there is no LFE info as there isn't on many classical surround cds - no bass played by the subwoofer in HI-Rez format. Or else ALL bass up to 200HZ played by the subwoofer. My Hsu is flat only up to 100HZ and is down 3DBs at 150Hz - so for DVD-A this is unworkable.

So, do I need a $300 ICBM for my 20 or so SACDs and DVD-As? I will have to keep track of how much I play them, I guess.

As they said in that thread - if I buy an ICBM then I will see what I have been missing.

Is this an accurate summary - if anyone cares to answer?

Last edited by donaldekelly; 09/15/05 04:01 PM.

M22s, QS4s, M2 center, Hsu stf-1.