I don't think the question is too complicated, but you need to focus on what you really want.

1)Is it a stereo system for music playback?
2)Is it an HT setup?
3)Is it a stereo setup for music playback that can also be used for HT?

I believe you currently have 1) and you are aiming for 3) if you can with your budget in mind. Ultimately if you do not aim for one, you will not acheive either. You mention that the stereo (I assume for music listening) is your leaning. The equipment you presently own is also a factor on where you go. Does your present gear lend itself to either choice?

Understand this: on a purely audio scale, there is very little in terms of HT equipment that comes close to hi end audio. The goals of the designers of A/V receivers (for example) is vastly different than that of hifi amplifier equipment. That is neither a condemnation, or praise for either component - but simply fact based on market targets and design features.

So, back to your question - I would advise to buy a good set of speakers for musical listening, with the thought of using them when/if you decide to build an HT system. If you aim to get some of both solutions, you may end up unhappy with the pieces your budget will limit you to selecting.

Regards,

BBIBH