I like the new rules a lot, it's much more fun to watch. The new rules essentially make the neutral zone trap a non-viable defensive strategy, the NZT is was made hockey boring to watch.

The only rule change I don't like is the penalty for shooting the puck out of the rink. I know the intention is to speed the game up, but I think this penalty slows the game down.

Speed is the new game, it's fun to watch. My team, The Sharks, are fast so it's a good thing for us, but our defense isn't so good, so they are struggling a little.

Hopefully it will bring more fan interest. Here in the Bay Area ,Hockey is almost invisible. There is a small group of hockey fans, and the Sharks home game attendance is pretty good, but outside of that group, the mainstream sports fan has almost no interest in Hockey.

The problem is, you have to see the game live to really appreciate it. A non-fan isn't gonna shell out $100+ to go see a game. My wife works for the Sharks, so I get free tix, I take people to games, they usually have never seen hockey before, and end up liking it. If it wasn't for me giving them free tix, they would never go, and never come to appreciate the game.