In reply to:

The sound for that album, like the sound for "The Last Waltz", was recorded on portable analog Nagra recorders for double system filming, and by comparison to modern digital gear, it's really compressed and distorted. "Waltz" is technically better than "Mad Dogs," but not by a whole lot.

Allen
Thanks the information on Nagra mobile recording. I had no idea. You also mention one of my all time favorites, The Last Waltz. I have the DVD on that and I would have to say that the sound quality on that is heads and tails above the Mad Dogs CD. I'm not sure if that is just because of DTS or not?

I have not heard the silver MOFI version of Mad Dogs so I have little reference other than memory. I have never heard any of the other cd versions either. The thing with the new version is all the previously unreleased material. I can't imagine the silver MOFI version being a whole lot better than this but not sure. At any rate the unreleased material is definitely worth it. On the other hand the whole thing is also coming out on DVD so you might want to wait for that release instead. I also mis-spoke on all the singers being in good voice. Rita Coolidge is as flat as ever but I'm always inclined to cut the Delta Lady some slack because she was just so damn hot.
oz

"Life is what happens while your busy making other plans" John Lennon