After two great years with my M60s, I finally got clearance for some QS8s, which I ordered today. (They are the consolation x-mas present my wife offered when she learned how much a 42" plasma costs. Good strategy if anyone's seeking one.) I'm also going to get a receiver to replace my Yamaha RV-1105, which was fine but lacks DPLII and can only crossover all settings at 100. I'll be choosing between an HK (435/635/640) and an Onkyo (703 or thereabouts).

So, what I'm wondering, as I ponder the receiver situation, is can you damage the QS8s if you leave them with a crossover below their range, say at 60? I don't think I'll go much lower than 60.

The answer might sway me between an Onkyo and an HK. The ability to set all speakers individually is very enticing on the HKs, but the Onkyos are definitely more affordable, and if I can get by with a 60 crossover on the QS8s, I could get the Onkyo. (I run my M60s on large with no crossover, b/c I don't like using the sub for music.) At some point in the next year I'll be upgrading my center, either with an Ascend 340c or, if Axiom listens to the buzz, a ported Axiom center that goes down past 90. So I know when I reach that point, I'll want to set the center crossover at 60.

Any thoughts or ideas on how the QS8s will do at 60? Theoretically, can you damage them even if they were set to large? Not that I'd do that, but my understanding is that very little bass gets sent to the surround channels anyway.

Austinbirdman

"These go to eleven."