"What type of subwoofer depends......"

On What....

...really!

When I was running a smaller 10" driver in my sub box, it "sounded" different than the new 12 incher in the same box.

(not to worry, Messrs Thiele and Small insist that both drivers work just fine!)

Not better or worse(well maybe the new one sounds just a bit better)but they sound different than each other in some inobvious way.

If they sound different from each other, then it makes sense to assume(or presume)that the sub in whatever itteration I have, may NOT sound "like" my Axioms.

I mean, if the accoustic bass in the orchestra is made of spruce, and sounds like spruce thru my Axioms', then I don't want a sub that makes the bass sound like redwood or cedar.

Right?

.......right?

So,...what makes a better "Match"??

Does a Hsu sound like an Axiom system? Does an SVS? And which particular model sounds more "Like" Axioms?(not to mention "Which" Axioms)

...has anyone tried a Bose bass module....?

Do Axiom subs "Sound" like Axiom speakers?

I haven't(I'm embarrased to say)spent enough time around the sub forums often enough to have gotten more than just enough knowledge to become dangerous.

So,...for those actually "In the Know" how do we determine what is a good match, and why?

...and why haven't we been told these obvious truths(if they are in fact obvious)long before this??