It definitely sounds as though your current receiver isn't up to the task. The same could be said about your sub. You seem to be on the right track as far as replacements are concerned.

I'm on the waiting list for the Emotiva ULs, and since they have not been released yet, few facts are actually known. However, they did go through a public beta test, during which they received strong praise for their quality of sound. Once the beta testing was finished, all units were recalled, and many features were added to the design. If you've been following things at av123, I'm sure you're aware of all this. For their price, they appear to be an excellent bargain.

As for subwoofers, I've owned a UFW-10, and now own the EP500. While the UFW-10 is a tight, quick performer and is perfect for music, IMHO, it can't match the EP500 in depth and smoothness of frequency response. I heard a pair of UFW-12s at the home of the aforementioned Craigsub, and was very impressed by the same qualities of the UFW-10, with a bit more depth in frequency response. But, even av123 itself admits it is not going to give you that room shaking bottom end with movies, should that be what you are looking for.

The "wild card" with the UFW-12 is the R-DES unit. For any who are unaware, this is the Rocket Digital Equalization System, which is a subwoofer equalizer similar to the Velodyne SMS-1 which is getting so much "buzz" here (see Jakeman's thread), and on other forums. It is, as yet, unreleased as well. Actually, it was briefly released, but was quickly recalled and is undergoing upgrades. av123 has been VERY quiet about precisely what is being changed or added. So, off the forum, there has been much speculation about those changes. We know, for a certainty, that at least one more band of EQ has been added bringing the total to 5, versus Velodyne's 6, but little else seems to be known. Both the R-DES and Emotiva ULs are supposed to see the light of day sometime in the next 5 to 6 weeks. Only time will tell if that is an accurate estimate.

Truthfully, none of the three subwoofers could even closely be considered "bad," and I doubt you'd be disappointed with any of them. But, I am VERY content with my EP500, and plead guilty to being biased in it's favor. However, if you've perused my profile you're aware that, in addition to my Axiom bias, I have an av123 bias as well. Two excellent companies with exemplary customer service, and quality products. You are definitely in a win/win situation.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton