Hi,

Yes, that Samsung 50-inch is 1080p and at the recent Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, I compared it to the new LED/DLP light engine Samsung. Here's an excerpt from the Axiom newsletter where I describe the new technology:

"Wandering through Samsung's enormous booth, I came across a very cool new product: the HL-S5679W, a 50-inch HD rear-projection set that uses an LED DLP light engine instead of a projector bulb and color wheel. Rated at 20,000 hours of life, the LED/DLP light engine uses groups of red, blue and green LEDs that fire sequentially, eliminating the need for a color wheel. I didn't see any rainbow effects (and I've become quite adept at spotting them) but it was unclear whether the sequential-firing red, blue and green LEDs totally eliminate rainbow effects. (Rainbow effects are brief red, blue and green flashes on bright lights in dim areas, occasionally visible and bothersome to a tiny minority of viewers on any DLP projection device that uses a color wheel.) The new Samsung LED/DLP rear-pro set has 1920x1080p resolution, and looked excellent, perhaps a hair better than its regular projector-bulb DLP sibling next to it. It will retail at about $4,200 USD in April this year."

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)