When listening in stereo I do run full range thru the 22s (I'm directing bass to both sub and 22s, with receiver setting on LARGE). I've also critically A/B'ed the current AR mains and the 22s full range alone (w/o the sub). I have to admit I am intrigued by the QS8 quadpole design, and actually I think they are a main reason I decided to try out the 22s. I've never been overly thrilled with the pure direct radiating surrounds I have since I'm sitting so much closer to the surrounds than the front three speakers.

I am under the opinion now that my original thinking of going with M22tiSEs all the way around with a VP150 center is going to be an improvement over my current setup, but it is not going to be an overwhelmingly substantial improvement.
Therefore, I am seriously considering the larger M80s up front, but I may have a dilemma in properly placing them. I would be able to bring the floorstanders up to 1 meter away from the front wall, but there would be very little room (under a foot) for moving them laterally. May this pose a problem with such restrictions?

Thanks for the good advice!