I'm considering a couple of M3s as nearfield monitors in my editing rack (wish Axiom made active monitors!!):

The right speaker would be placed where the larger of the two monitors is (look for the color bars), and I would install an identical shelf to the left side for the left speaker (above what looks to be a CPU case but is a DVD duplicator). I would likely put the speakers on a couple of MoPads:

I've picked up an ongoing, good-sized gig recording and editing voiceovers for another very busy videographer and I'm often editing audio at night. Headphones…even good ones…get irritating to me after several hours. The Cambridge Soundworks setup I currently have on the walls won't work on the shelves because they're not shielded. Besides, I've always wanted to try M3s! If I can get the speakers 1' off each ear, I will have the "intimate sound" of headphones, without the irritation, and I'll be able to keep the volume lower so as to not keep my wife awake all night.

Here's the concern: The right shelf would need to be raised to allow the new left shelf to be of equal height… and at that height the woofer, not the tweeter, would be pretty much at ear level. I don't think that will prove to be a problem as the Axiom tweeter has good dispersion, but I'm not sure. To hedge my bet that this scenario will work, has anyone used an M3 upside down…maybe as a center, for example? Alan, any thoughts?

There are many nearfield monitors out there…many active… but I really would like to give Axiom my business on this one....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::