I'm in the process of redoing my system, after about of decade of paying little attention to audio equipment (things appear to have changed). My budget for speakers is in the $800 range, and I'm interested only in two-channel at the moment. I'm wondering whether, at this price point, one is better off going with a pair of floorstanding speakers, or with bookshelf speakers plus a sub--that would be, in the Axiom line, either the M60s or M22s with a subwoofer. I'd prefer floorstanding speakers, in terms of looks and convenience of placement, but if the bookshelf + sub combo is going to deliver markedly better sound, I can live with it. My receiver is a Denon AVR-1603, so it's not terribly powerful. Am I right in thinking that floorstanding speakers might demand too much power from my amp?

My living room is about 320 square feet, 8' tall, acoustically very hard (concrete ceiling and hardwood floor). I only really care about music; I do watch some movies, but I'm not really into the "home theater" experience. I listen to classical, blues, and rock. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Mark