Hi Rodge

This is certainly a bizarre problem I would suggest to make sure that it is not the receiver run this simple test. Disconnect the RCA cable from the receiver and connect it to the CD or DVD player audio right or left Channel out. This will be a direct single from the audio source at that point you should be able to turn the volume up or down on the subwoofer and notice a difference in volume. If you do not get a lot of volume do not be concerned because we are bypassing the preamp. But this should tell you whether the volume switch on the subwoofer is functioning properly. When you have done this test e-mail me and let me know the results. Also be sure that you have switched the subwoofer to 220V NOT the 110V.

Joe VaSSallo

Hi,

Many thanks for the prompt reply. I am certain that the subwoofer is set to 220V, to suit UK outlets. I'm actually at work at the moment and not able to do the test, however I am fairly confident that there is no real fault with the volume switch, as the volume does turn down and then back up, but only so far. When the volume dial gets to about 9 o clock the volume ceases to increase, no matter how far it is turned. I will still carry out the test and email you with a result.

Thanks again for the response.

Rodge.

Joe,

Following our communication regarding my EP350, I have carried out the test with the dvd player and concluded that the volume switch is not faulty on the sub. Whilst testing the subwoofer at lower master volumes, however, I still seem to be having cut-off problems, and at higher volumes (receiver on -20.0dB, subwoofer level at 0dB and subwoofer volume control at about 9 o clock) I am getting strange distortion/rattling noises from the sub for certain movie titles, even though the volume isn't extraordinarily high. The movie in particular where this is at its worst is Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, the very first scene where the nuclear bomb hits the ground. The sub's woofer appears to move amazing distances, whilst not being particularly loud, and the distortion is somewhat annoying. Surely the sub should be capable of managing much higher volumes than this without distortion? I have seen excellent reviews of the sub when paired with much larger speakers than my M3's, and I therefore expected more from it. Whether this has anything to do with the problems I am suffering I'm not sure as I am fairly new to AV. (Only 18 years old!)

Rodge.