In reply to:

Not trying to start a war here...

Me neither, but I'd like to try to make my point of view clear, and I hope, in the process, I don't offend anyone.

I am a burn-in skeptic. While I can't speak for other skeptics, I want to assure those who are burn-in believers that I fully believe they perceive a difference in the sound of the speakers after a certain period of time. However, the question remains, is that change actually in the sound of the speaker, or is it a change in the listener's perception of the sound of the speakers, i.e. is there an acclimatization of one's brain to the sound of the speaker?

One of my fears is that burn-in believers interpret the concept that the change is in the perception of the sound of the speakers, rather than in the speakers themselves, means "I think the change is all in your head." While that is an accurate summation of my point of view, that phrase is NOT synonymous with "I think your nuts," or "you're fooling yourself," or "boy, are you stupid." None of that is what I believe, or am trying to say.

Human beings are remarkably adaptable creatures. Many years ago, my sister had a railroad track just behind the house in which she lived. When I'd visit, the trains would rattle my fillings. When I asked how she stood it, her response was (paraphrasing, now) "what trains." She had become acclimated to the point that she didn't really notice the trains at all.

Our perceptions tend to be "relative" rather than "absolute." If my diet is a bland one, and I eat a hot pepper, my reaction of "wow that's hot" is quite different from someone who is a steady consumer of jalapeños and cayenne, who looks at me like I'm nuts, and says "whadaya mean 'hot'?"

If one is used to the sound of speaker A, then that sound is his/her benchmark. It is what he/she is acclimated to and perceives as "normal." Now that person purchases speaker B, which, lets say, has more treble energy. First impression is that this is a "bright" speaker." After a random period of time, this person becomes acclimated to speaker B's sound, it no longer sounds "bright," and IT'S sound becomes the benchmark, the "normal" sound. Now, this person visits a friend who still has a pair of speaker A, and that speaker sounds "muffled." This explains why, to some, a given speaker is "bright," while, to others, the same speaker sounds "neutral," or even "muffled." One's perception depends upon that to which one is acclimated.

Also, I consider the senses, or, rather, the interpretation by the brain of what the senses send to it, to be surprisingly unreliable. I cite, as evidence, optical illusions, the example of a pilot who's senses tell him he's diving when he's actually climbing, 10 witnesses to a crime with different descriptions of the criminal, and hearing a noise which seems to be coming from where it's not, etc.

Here is a post that pretty much sums up my take on break-in,

Chu Gai's post on break-in. It's got some interesting stuff.

DISCLAIMER: My post is NOT an attempt to change anyone's mind. I completely support other folk's right to believe differently than I. Of course I think they're mistaken. They, of course, think I'M mistaken. We're both entitled to our opinions and to express those opinions. No problem.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton