John, just a thought.. Doesn't that additional headroom given by a bigger amp (especially with separates) give a better (using 'better' for lack of a more technical term) sound, as the amp does not have to work as hard to gain the same results ? (He asked, as he stood scratching his head)
Or, as with separates, the pre/pro doesn't have to share the onboard power supply with the amp(s).. Wouldn't this then equate to a cleaner, or less negativley effected signal reaching the speakers ??
How's this: Small watt, inexpensive amp compared to larger watt top end amp.. Both driven at the lower end of their respective power rating, into the same make speaker, to produce the same SPL.. Would there be difference in the quality of the sound produced ? I have found that in most cases there is (only not home gear, concert sound reinforcement equip).. So, and I hope I'm not stretching this too far, would it not stand to reason that a quailty amp, not sharing power supplies, additional circuits, etc, and, having a great deal more headroom, would indeed provide a more quailty sound ?
I would really like to know, as I have been wanting to upgrade to some quaility power (separates), but have not tested or proven my own (just stated) theory with high end ($$) home stereo gear, only with large concert equipment..

LFE ! The rest is just details..