A couple have mentioned the only way to judge is to try it in your own home; agreed, but I understand EXACTLY where the OP is coming from.

To make a long story short, I have done EXHAUSTIVE web research on this very subject. In short, the typical 2 way horiztonally oriented MTM design is not the best design to use as a center channel. If your sitting directly in front of it, you won't have any problems. Sit off to the side, and that is where the trouble starts. I can't count the number of times watching a movie, and someone asks "what did they say?".

I have read a few nay-sayers reguard the design of the VP150 as a bad design since it has two tweeters on either end of the speaker, but I'll bet that it is actually a GOOD design when it comes to horizontal dispersion; probably way better than the typical horizontal-oriented MTM.

As to why 3-way centers are often desired; if you have a "MTM" center, but have a separate midrange/vertical tweeter, it really helps in the horiztonal dispersion, and you don't get the cancellation effects in the critical vocal range that you do with a 2 way MTM.

Oddly enough, a *vertically* oriented MTM would be a very good choice as a center if maximum horizontal dispersion is your goal.

I know this didn't help the OP, but I understand where they are coming from.

-Alan