P8, the Onkyo MX504, which I think is terrific, is about 20 years old, don't know why it reproduces redbook so well.

One of my audio equipment theories is that 1 or 2 generation old top-of-the-line components make terrific audio values with nearly unbeatable sound quality.

One of my favorite systems is in my office - a Sony TA E9000ES 5.1 processor (no multichannel SACD) - bought refurbished from ebay for about $400, a Sony DVP S7000ES CD/DVD player, a former Sony flagship from maybe 3 generations ago, an Anthem PVA5 5 channel amp I picked up at a closeout from a local high end audio shop ... anyway, I pick components I like ... that sound good to my ears, and which the mfgrs have taken some pride in building. Works for me.

I'm always looking ... listening for the better sound, so I tweak my speakers with upgraded capacitors, supertweeters. Couldn't find a center channel which worked for me, tried a bunch, including a huge Klipsch KLF C7, Axioms ... finally stumbled on the Axiom made Merak MC series, the 6H with a pair of 6.5" drivers and a big horn tweeter, and the 634, also with the 6.5"s and the Axiom 3/4" titanium tweeter. So, I played with the crossover, swapped the Merak 6.5"s for Axiom aluminum 6.5"s, got rid of the Axiom 3/4" tweeter (a great tweeter), operated on the cabinet, replaced it with one from the reference 3a de capo mm and voila, the best sounding center I've ever heard.

It has nothing to do with Cygnus or moon rocks. So, the point is, Bren, I can hear the difference between components. You can't hear the difference, and that's OK.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.