Hi,

Actually, Peter, the M22 + EP500 vs. the M80s with or without the EP500 (I have both on an A/B switcher set up most of the time) are astonishingly close when A/B'd in my average (sort of small) living room (2200 cu. ft.). In my room, if I run the M80s full-range "Large" with the EP500, there is too much bass, so I set the 80s to "Small" crossiing over at 80 Hz. At those settings, the transition to the EP500 is seamless.

They are so close that often I forget which I'm listening to (the switcher is marked "A" and "B"), unless I get up and check the speakers.
The differences begin to emerge when I really crank up the sound to levels louder than I normally ever listen at. There is a kind of "ease" to the M80s at these levels, no sense of strain, and an upper bass "authority" that I miss with the M22s.
Then again, I never listen to the M22s and EP500 at such levels (I'm talking of 100+ dB SPL peaks at my listening area). Set to peaks 3 dB less than that, the M22s and EP500 are simply thrilling.

Just to pick an example, I'd put them up against the ludicrously overpriced Wilson Watt Puppies and a sub anytime in a blind test administered by a disinterested third party and I'd be highly interested in the outcome. . .

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)