The way my basement is set up, one half is the bar/pool table room, the other half is the HT section. The room is 15 x 45 approx.
When you come down the stairs, you enter basically right in the middle of the room and the cheap little Yammie speakers I have mounted to the drop ceiling (8' high) with brackets is high enough to easily walk under (I'm 6'2") but are directly in line with the stairs and also right over the walkway to the washroom and laundry.
I am upgrading the system altogether from the "HT in a box" speaker system and plan to basically go with Axioms for all the speakers, except the back 2, as their QS8 surrounds have to be 12" from ceiling, that would be entertaining to watch people walk into...but you see the possible issues

My 2 choices are
1) find some really nice small speakers that can be either mounted to the ceiling, or in the ceiling itself.
or,
2) buy the QS8's and put them on stands.

For option 2, I would have to keep the speakers along the walls, then when we watch a movie, I would have to move them ito their proper positions, as they would be right in the throughway.
This brings up the next question that if I did use the stands, would the fact that the side surrounds are wall mounted 6 1/2 feet off the floor and the rear surrounds on stands work ok?

Thanks
Derek