Larry:

Yes, you've got it right.

As far as I'm concerned, the only "real" soundstage that can be perceived from a recording is a two-mic, direct to stereo recording. Everything else is manufactured.

Sometimes I'm a little unsure of peoples' reviews when they talk about a soundstage that easily enables you to envision the band members on stage...even down to who is in front or to the rear of the stage. That instrument is wherever the recording engineer panned it to.... there is no "realness" to it at all.

That being said, some speakers do still "image" better than others, and I'm not sure why that is. I believe it would have much to do with the amount of detail that a system and speaker allows, and the manufacturers tolerances for quality control...i.e., the better "matched" a pair of speakers are to each other that would allow a pair to image wonderfully from a particular listening position. But of course, this is largely dependant upon every aspect of the recording and the listening room as well. I'm not really sure and am curious as well about it.

I don't think your question is elementary at all. Any question that raises issues as to how the recording process influences the music we listen to is a good one!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::