Hi Jason, and welcome!!(Hi Ken, too!)

Yup I currently use a single M3 perched upon my TV and am very happy with it!

Like so many things in life; I just kinda stumbled into using it this way cuz I just happened to have a pair of M3s lying around when I had to replace my M3s as mains when we moved into a larger home.

So I slapped the new M50s in front and stuck a left-over M3 on top of the TV and it worked great!!

.....I've since then purchased a new M3 for center and stuck the two older M3s in back for surrounds.

Would I have used an M3 for center if I had started with M50s in the first place?

I dunno.

In this size room I would likely have gone with a VP150, but as luck would have it, I have a real sucky room which likes to have me cross everything at 60hz rather than 80, so having an M3 as center works like a charm since it really really likes playing a psudo full-range role!

I've never heard any of the VP series of centers, so I don't know how well they match M50; but I have heard enough folks rave about using the VPs with M50s and M3s to know that I would be confident and comfortable going that route especially if I were crossing at the standard 80hz. I do know, however, that panning from M50s to M3s and back again is absolutely flawless. So either way to go would be a good way to go!

Kens' concern about gettin' an M3 too close to a standard CRT TV is a good one: I tried putting an M3 on top of a 31" direct view a couple years back, and the colors went all womphy. Turns out they have to be a good 6" away to not mess with the colors.(Axiom recomendation)

I'm probably not the best source of info here! I have Axiom speakers; but I don't use them quite the same as everybody else(Ok, speakers "there" ears "here" sound goes from "there" to "here" like most other folks)but I use M50s as mains with M3 as center and M3s as surrounds, with all speakers set to "large" and all crossovers set to 60hz.

Nobody Else Does THAT!!

I'm even waiting and hoping for Axiom to produce a center with 6.5" drivers and QS surround with the same!!

Anyway......This is what works well For Me!! Happy Hunting!!
Rich.