Dear Friends,

I had been using a D-Link router successfully (don't remember the number - maybe a 614) for a couple years. It stopped behaving recently (on all fronts), so I re-employed the old Netgear (non-wireless) unit it had replaced. Having consequently restored internet access to the main computer (it's wired), I'm clear for a few days.

However, I have two older machines that I do like to use that require wireless 802.11/b access (not G). Having to Sneakernet files off the laptop is beginning to harsh my mellow.

I am disinclined to reward D-Link with additional business, so am pursuing Belkin, Netgear and Linksys. I have become confused.

I understand that "modern" g routers are backward compatible, but their effectiveness at communicating with b devices seems to vary according to reviews I've seen.

In addition, I was recently seduced by the notion that this Netgear seems to include a USB port, which would seemingly enable me to easily connect an external USB drive without having a dedicated file server (and the associated network configuration issues of which I am aware but not expert). My wife's computer probably needs a new and/or bigger hard disk anyway (since I've filled it up with pictures and music), so putting the shared multimedia somewhere else makes some sense. I think if I slick and reinstall the OS on the existing drive, I might be okay.

We don't game. The connectivity is for stupid stuff like transferring files and browsing only.

There are three devices hard-wired (two desktops and a printer) and two wireless (kids computer and laptop). At any given time, only two of them would be concurrent, probably.

Cost is always an issue. I don't do this for a living.

Thanks very much for your always sage advice.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem