Speaking of stuff we're all doing... my latest summer project is finally building a real workbench/cabinets in the garage workshop... since we moved in, there's been a ramshackle upper... uh "cabinet" (more on this later) and a piece of 18" deep countertop acting as a work table. First thing I hated about the garage... last thing I'm fixing.

So this afternoon was slow for work (coming up to the long weekend and all) so I started demolition and rebuilding the new cabinets. Demolition was... interesting... removed the pegboard from the walls carefully to reuse it (all that track-wall stuff be damned - pegs work and I have a ton of them already)... and as I removed one piece, the upper ramshackle cabinet fell until it hit some framing. Apparently I removed a load-bearing piece of pegboard.

Building the cabinets with 2x4 framing and 3/4" BCX ply (yes, I'm cheap and yes it's a garage) where it's hidden and sanded maple ply where it's visible.

Really racking my brain trying to come up with an inexpensive way of covering the countertops. I could do arborite... but it'd be 2 sheets to do them... which would be $200 or so if I remember correctly. Thought about just painting them like the cabinet faces, then urethaning the crap out of them... but again, that'd be expensive... thought about tiling them... but that's a bit labour intensive... anyone else got any ideas? I'm also considering hitting a cabinet place and see if they have any unusable countertops that I can cut down... see what I can find.

Bren R.