Quote:

Curses. My HK is already dead. I guess it's going to be re-refurbished. I'm going to let them send me another (I think) and if the next one fails I'm back to trying to decide. Has anyone used the outlaw 1070 to drive the m80s? That company is spunky-I wouldn't mind supporting them if their gear can do the job.

I have an Outlaw 1070 that I use for my computer setup. It's driving two M-3s and two M-2s (and a sub). It sounds great, but I think you would want more power. I have a Yamaha RX-v2400 driving my HT and it has quite a bit more power. At first I thought I might replace the Yamaha if I liked the Outlaw better, but there isn't anything that the Outlaw does better except do bass management on the analog channels (which is great for the analog outputs on my computer or SACDs etc).

The Outlaw cost me more than I paid for the Yamaha a few years ago, but the Yamaha is easier to use and has noteably more power. There are little things about the Outlaw that are sorta quirky and slightly more difficult to do certain things- like switch inputs without the remote, and little things like that.

I'm pleased with the Outlaw though, it's a nice unit- but for the money I think you could get more power and features from another manufacturer- especially if your goal is to drive power hungry speakers. It should be noted though, that Outlaw doesn't overrate their amplifier's power like many other manufacturers do. I tested various speakers between my HT and computer system with a digital meter from radioshack, and was pleased that the Yamaha put out quite a bit more power (which they should since they were rated much higher).

I strongly recommend any of the recent RX series receivers from Yamaha since I have experience with them. They have all the features you could want, have big beefy parts in them, are reliable, and easy to use.