Hi there, I have had my M60's for about 2 years now and I am just loving them. I was wondering what I could do to my livingroom/theater to improve sound balance. I don't want to get into major construction but just looking for some relatively unobtrusive pointers.

Room: 18'x16'x8' with 50" DLP TV on the long wall. 5.1 Speakers are all placed within Axiom's recommended locations. The room is wood framed sheetrock with oak floors. There is a cloth couch facing the TV about 12 feet back and a cloth loveseat to the left at 90degrees. A small 6'x8' area rug under the coffee table. One set of curtains on a french door on the right wall. The room is pretty sparse. It seems pretty "echoee". Some bass notes sound a bit boomy. I found improvement in moving the mains about 15" away from the back wall and toeing them in about 4 degrees. The sub is just outside the left main. The mains are about 9 feet apart. I have optimized (by ear) by using crossover changes and level changes with the sub controls and the Onkyo settings.

Do I need more fabrics? Should I hang tapestries? Any little tricks of the trade I should know? I am not looking to solve a particular problem. I just want to learn a bit about room acoustics.

Thanks.

Last edited by cygnusx1; 09/14/06 03:45 PM.

Onkyo TX-NR801, Axiom M60's, Samsung 50" DLP, http://dcerutti.smugmug.com